Thailand now is one of the most popular countries for foreigners who wish to travel and live in retirement. Thailand comes with many factors that attract tourists, such as, culture, weather, delicious food, very attractive places for tourists and a low cost of living. These things make foreign tourists who have visited before be impressed and choose Thailand as the country where they want to live after retirement.

What is the Visa Non-Immigrant “O” (Retirement)?

The Visa Non-Immigrant "O" (Retirement Visa) is a specific visa for foreigners aged 50 and above wishing to stay in Thailand. It requires submission of financial proof at the Immigration Office. The eligibility criteria for applying for a Retirement Visa (Visa Non-Immigrant "O") (Non-OA) and (Non-OX) are as follows:

  1. Foreigners must older than 50 years old
  2. Foreigners must have lived in Thailand for 60 days and carry a 90-day valid retirement visa (Visa Non-O).
  3. Have evidence of funds from Thai banks, such as a copy of the passbook or bank account passbook.
  4. In order to apply for a Visa Non-O or Visa Non-OA, foreigners must have income or have retirement savings of at least 65,000 Baht per month for a 12-month period, or a combined pension of at least 800,000 Baht per year for a three-month period.
  5. Foreigners who want to apply for a Non-OX Visa and stay in Thailand for five years must be able to demonstrate that they have sufficient income or retirement savings, such as at least 100,000 Baht per month for a year and a combined pension deposit of at least 3,000,000 Baht yearly for three months.
  6. Foreigners need to be covered by health insurance.
  7. Foreigners with retirement visas are not allowed to work in Thailand in any position.

Required Documents for Retirement Visa Application or Visa Non-Immigrant "O" (Retirement)

  1. TM.86 Form: For foreigners with a Tourist Visa or Transit Visa to change the visa type, or TM.87 Form for foreigners without a visa but permitted to stay in Thailand under certain conditions (e.g., Visa on Arrival).
  2. Photographs: Two photographs (4x6 cm or 2 inches).
  3. Passport: Passport valid for at least 18 months, along with a copy of the passport.
  4. Visa and Entry Stamp Copies: Copies of the visa page and entry stamp.
  5. Visa Application Fee: 2,000 THB.
  6. Financial Evidence: Proof of funds in a Thai bank, such as foreign currency transfer documents, bank book copies, or bank statements, indicating a balance of at least 800,000 THB or 3,000,000 THB for Visa Non-OX.
  7. Alternative Financial Proof: If the required documents are unavailable, a certification from the embassy or consulate can be provided, indicating a monthly pension of at least 65,000 THB for Visa Non-O and Visa Non-OA, or 100,000 THB for Visa Non-OX.
  8. Combined Financial Proof: Evidence combining deposits and pension totaling at least 800,000 THB for Visa Non-O and Visa Non-OA, or 3,000,000 THB for Visa Non-OX.
  9. Residential Proof: Lease agreement, condo purchase contract, house registration, house map, and rental receipts for the past three months.

How many types of Retirement Visa?

The retirement visa or visa for foreigners aged 50 and above who wish to reside in Thailand is divided into 3 types. Each type differs in terms of length of stay, visa extension period, and criteria and supporting documents for consideration as mentioned above.

  1. Visa Non-Immigrant "O": Retirement visa for foreigners allowing them to stay in Thailand for 90 days, with the option to extend for 1 year.
  2. Visa Non-Immigrant "O-A": Retirement visa for foreigners allowing them to stay in Thailand for 1 year, with the option to extend for another 1 year.
  3. Visa Non-Immigrant "O-X": Retirement visa for foreigners allowing them to stay in Thailand for 5 years, with the option to extend for another 5 years.

Guidelines to follow after receiving a retirement visa:

  1. If you wish to extend your retirement visa, you can submit an application at least 21 days before the visa expires.
  2. Foreigners holding a retirement visa for 1 year or more must report to the Immigration Office in their current residential area every 90 days. They can report up to 14 days early or up to 7 days late from the scheduled reporting date.
  3. If reporting more than 90 days late, you must report in person and pay a fine of 2,000 baht. If a foreigner is arrested for any reason, they must pay a fine of 4,000 baht.
  4. If a foreigner travels outside Thailand, upon returning to Thailand, the 90-day count starts anew from the first day of re-entry.
  5. Foreigners holding a Single-Entry visa who need to travel outside the country and wish to re-enter Thailand with the same retirement visa should apply for a Re-Entry permit before leaving Thailand. This can be done at the nearest Immigration Office or at the international airport of departure.

company Lawyer V-Work offers comprehensive visa and work permit services for foreigners of all nationalities.

Lawyer V-Work Company Work offers comprehensive visa andwork permit specializing in work permit processing, services for foreign nationals. With over 12 years of experience, the professional legal team at Lawyer V-Work provides guidance and assistance for foreigners wishing to work and reside in Thailand, ensuring a smooth and efficient process. For more information, contact Lawyer V-Work via LINE: @v-work.